Queen of the Quadratic

Sunday, July 30, 2006

Classroom WebPages

I'd like to have a classroom webpage where I can post assignments, notes, rules, expectations, and anything else I happen to feel like posting that would be relevant to the classroom. The first step will be talking to my campus IT person about which servers will be permitted for student use and then learn how to use that server to my full advantage.

I know some teachers absolutely LOVE classroom webpages, and others loathe the fact that computers are now a part of the job description. I personally like using the computers and feel that it has made my job easier most of the time. I don't imagine I'll find many dissenting opinions here, but would like to know about others' experiences with the classroom webpage.

What kind of items are essential? How often should it be updated? Should students be involved with creating/maintaining it?

If I find no responses to this, I will still be searching other places for the answers. As I become proficient, I'll publish my progress.

2 Comments:

Blogger Euclid said...

I love using a blog to maintain course web pages. This saves going through your school's/District's tech person. It is also very easy to update.

There are many ways to post homework assignments however. They can be in the form of a blog entry or depending on how “techy” you want to be, you can make a link in one of the side bars for weekly homework assignments, course syllabus and grading info, helpful links etc.

A couple of math teachers that are already doing this are:

http://danlemay.net

and I particularly like what this teacher is doing with having students scribe about the class each day.

http://am40s.blogspot.com/

10:44 AM  
Blogger Mathematical Mary said...

Thanks! Those are great examples.

I think there is a strong possibility that bypassing the IT person could cost me my job. I overstepped my boundaries last year by creating a forum for an elective class. They shot it down and I think they might be watching me a little closer now, afraid I might innovate something useful.

I will keep the blog in mind as a possibility.

9:36 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home