Queen of the Quadratic

Thursday, October 12, 2006

Okay...

My phone rang between 2nd and 3rd period and I noticed it was the attendance office. I thought it would be a request to send a particular student down during my next class, so I answered.

As it turned out, she wanted to speak with me about the enrollment audit that we had just done that day and asked that I come down there to discuss it with her. I informed her that if she was looking for me to come down that day, I wouldn't be able to make it. She said I could come down the next day during my conference. I was a bit annoyed, but agreed to go.

Later in the day, I had to remove a few electronic items from a few of my students and had to deliver them to the office anyway, so I thought I'd just stop in the attendance office and find out what they needed me to do.

The woman then proceeded to tell me that I had written down that a student had enrolled in my class on such and such a date, when in fact said student hadn't enrolled until about 2 days later. Neither of the dates in question effected the audit in any way, shape, or form. I assured her that the date I had entered in my computer was the first day she stepped foot in my class and she told me again that I was wrong. This exchange (coupled with many pregnant pauses on my part) continued for about 10 minutes during which time she showed me something irrelevant on the computer and told me all about some bug they'd found in their system. Finally, I asked, "What do I need to do?" to cut the bs so I could get to tutoring my students. Can you imagine my surprise when she said, "Oh, nothing. It doesn't effect..." and she started carrying on again.

After witnessing this whole exchange, the other attendance secretary (who's daughter is enrolled in my class) decided that would be an opportune time to ask me about her daughter's progress. I informed her that I was already 15 minutes late for tutoring and there were students waiting for me. As I walked down the hall, I had to do some deep breathing before greeting the students who really needed my help.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home