Queen of the Quadratic

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Freshman misconception

A young lady in one of my Geometry classes asked me today if I was her friend. I told her without and ounce of malice that I was not her friend. She was genuinely shocked and acted completely hurt by this.

She asked why I wasn't her friend and I explained that I am her teacher which is very different from being a friend. She asked again, claiming that her mom is her friend and she just couldn't understand why I couldn't be her friend.

I've seen many teachers start their careers with that fatal mistake of trying to be a friend of the students. All of these teachers are no longer teaching. I wonder if this young lady had a few one-year wonder "friend" teachers while in middle school.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home